Race Schedule and Results

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Guest review (from the hubs)


Tom's not really into blogging (like at all) so it's a treat when he gets to stop by and write a blog about something that he got to test out (which kind of makes me jealous too, but that's alright... I can let him have his test shoe glory every once in a while too).  So here it goes!

Hey all!  Colleen is involved with FitFluential and was given an opportunity to get me in on the action by trying out the Saucony Virrata. I'm always up to trying new things to help with my running so I was excited when these arrived (and yes, Colleen was a little jealous).

http://www.saucony.com/commonimages/saucony/700x700/20175-1_1_700x700.jpg
Right away I could tell that they were super light weight (only 6.5 ounces for a men's size 9) and I liked the colors, although they were a bit brighter than I usually go with.  Flashy is good, especially for a fast shoe!  They come in 6 different color combinations so I would probably go a different route next time, but then again, maybe not.  They grow on you fast! The box says "Flex the Laws of Nature" and these shoes do just that - you can practically fold them in half.
http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/b9077fe48db411e28ef622000a1fa434_7.jpg

I didn't run long in them just because I'm used to maybe a less minimalist shoe, and this one has a zero drop, I didn't want to jump into anything without making sure it would work for me.  I did find the shoe comfortable - more cushioned than I had imagined with it being so light weight.  I liked that it seemed very breathable which is nice as the weather starts to heat up here in Georgia.  And I felt like it was a responsive shoe - definitely a trainer which is good as I'm focusing more on speed. Oh... and it ran true to size - maybe a little narrower than I'm used to but I attribute that to the trainer nature of it. 

A little about the Virrata from the Saucony website:

Stripped down to strong. The Virrata is our lightest and most flexible training shoe and allows your foot to move naturally. We removed everything that isn’t helping your run improve. What remains is a feather-light, ultra flexible shoe with advanced cushioning that promotes a powerful stride and allows your foot to move the way it was meant to. Built on a 0mm offset, this shoe lets your feet do the work while providing plenty of protection from the road. The breathable mesh upper makes the shoe incredible lightweight and quick-drying to run in wet weather conditions. Weight: 6.5oz. / 184 gm (size 9)

Simply put - this is a light weight, cushioned, flexible shoe that looks great and performs great!  I'm a fan...
http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws.com/7631bc60a24111e2ab6b22000aa8004d_7.jpg

Thank you Saucony and Fitfluential for the opportunity to let me try these out.  (*these shoes were sent to me free of charge and the opinions expressed in this post are my own)





3 comments:

George said...

Did you do any leg pressing while wearing them? How heavy??

Matthew Smith said...

Tom is a GREAT writer! Good review! I like the idea of a spouse post. Maybe I can get Jenn to write one. :)

Karen said...

Love this review! I just bought these an hour ago and think I'm going to love them just the same :) That's a big deal for a runner that almost exclusively sticks to Brooks.