Race Schedule and Results

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

An ambassador, a marathon and an award


I recently received an email that I had been nominated for eCollegeFinder's Top Health & Fitness Blogs Award.  That's pretty cool.  Anyway, I accepted my nomination and found out yesterday that I was chosen for the award.  I'm honored to be listed with the others... it's an amazing group of bloggers, that's for sure.  For a complete list of the winners, you can visit  https://www.ecollegefinder.org/health-and-fitness-award.aspx.

So as you know, I decided to "retire" from the Rev3 racing team.  Tri's are kind of of back burner and with the babster coming, I didn't feel like I could give them what they deserved.  But, that didn't mean that I wasn't seeing out other opportunities that would fit me during AND after the pregnancy.  I was happy to be chosen as a BrooksID Ambassador for 2013.  I've always loved Brooks gear... I think everything I've touched from shoes to shirts, bottoms and accessories have been second to none so this was super exciting.  I placed my first order the other day and got this great RUN long sleeve shirt and a pair of the Brooks Pure Connect 2's. 
I've had to order large shirts to accommodate my growing belly and this one fits great and I think I'll be able to get a lot of use out of it even after the belly is gone.  And the shoes... well I haven't taken them off my feet.  They are amazing. :)  I can't wait to outfit myself post baby as I get back into fighting shape.  I think it'll help with the motivation as well.

Speaking of motivation, Brooks is partnering with the Rock'n'Roll Marathon Series and I'm excited that I was selected to run the RnR Savannah race in November.
I'll be honest in that I've not put much on my training/racing schedule for 2013.  There's just too much that's up in the air.  And while I'd ultimately love to just bounce back from the pregnancy in no time flat, that's not a total given.  RnR Savannah is in mid-November and I'm really going to use it as a goal.  For now, I'm planning on doing the full marathon.  That will be a huge accomplishment to be able to run a full marathon five months after delivering, but I think it's doable if I'm smart.  If I find that I'm struggling with things, I can readjust my goals a little.  For me, it won't be a PR race.  It'll be about me getting out there and showing that momma's can do it!  Plus I'll have extra motivation with Tom cheering for me (this will be my first alone marathon), holding our baby girl the entire way.  Savannah is an amazing city and is a special place for Tom and I.

So, do you think a marathon is doable five months after delivering?  Have you ever done one of the RnR races?

22 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Sweet deal on the Brooks ID Ambassadorship! Hope it is the perfect fit for you!

I ran a marathon 7 months post baby. I think I could have run one sooner (I was running 20 milers at 5 months postpartum). You can do it!

Matthew Smith said...

You freaking rock! I got the nomination for the eCollege award too, but I never accepted it for fear that it was kind of a spam thing. Oh well. My loss. Sweet work on getting to run Savannah. That means it's a FREEBIE, right? YAY! Good call on the shirt and shoes. My first order should be here soon...maybe today!

Kevin said...

Congrats on being picked for the Brooks ambassadorship. I have always been a fan of their clothes and their shoes are the only ones that work on my super-wide feet.

I did the inaugural RnR Savannah Half in 2011 and enjoyed it. At the time I heard the Marathon course was rough, but I understand it was improved in 2012. In addition to the frequent bands, there was plenty of crowd support out on the course

Carolina John said...

Have you ever been to savannah? It's an amazing, beautiful southern city. I've never done a R&R race, but that one always seems to sell out and it's on my bucket list. Sometime I'll have to tell you my family history around savannah. so cool.

Anonymous said...

It depends on what happens with your pregnancy.

There is so much that can happen between now and then and your priorities might change. =)

Michelle said...

Congrats on the Brooks Ambassadorship! I've done 2 RnR races - Providence & DC - both were really well organized. Will probably do Providence again this year.

misszippy said...

Congrats on the Brooks deal! They do have awesome clothing and shoes (loving my Pure Drifts right now).

I did an Olympic tri just 13 weeks after I had my first and actually PRd it. i was ridiculously driven then. My advice now--just relax into the baby routine. It's such a huge adjustment first-time through. You'll be able to do the 1/2, just don't put any undo pressure on yourself.

TriMOEngr said...

It will really be a bit of a crap shoot. With my first, I was nowhere near ready to tackle anything 5 months after he was born. Ten weeks of bedrest will do that to you though. With my 2nd, I felt physically like a million bucks within a week or two. I still fought being tired for a little while with getting up in the night so often to nurse, but by 5 months, that was down to once/night for like 20 min and I'd snooze in the recliner while she ate. I know moms who've done crazy stuff like marathons in shorter time frames so given your pre-pg fitness, it is definitely doable. With the right jogger stroller - you may find that baby makes a great trainer partner. Do you follow Steve in a Speedo? He ran over half of his 1000+ miles last year behind a stroller (and his "baby" wasn't teeny anymore). Love that!

Allison said...

Congratulations on the Brooks deal and the blog award!

One of my college friends has run the Seattle RnR. Here is her blog: http://sojustkeeprunning.blogspot.com/

Alisa said...

I think you got it in the bag momma!

I've run 3 of my 4 marathons in the rock n roll series. I've done RnR San Diego twice and RnR Arizona! I picked them b/c I wanted a BIG race and they were in sunny locations. All three were top notch. No issues with aid stations, everything was great. Port-o-potties were plentiful, etc.

Caratunk Girl said...

Congrats on he award! That is awesome! I got the same shirt (in grey) haha

Unknown said...

Dang, you gotz a lot going on there! Congrats and welcome to the Brooks Team!

Maggie said...

Congrats on the award! You certainly deserve it - love reading your blog!

Ms Mae said...

Yikes. I'm contemplating a half sometime next fall.....no way would I be ready for a full! Good luck!

Anne-Marie said...

Congrats on the award and Brooks sponsorship!

I think the running a marathon after having a baby totally depends on the person. But, I will say - One of my really good friends had a c-section delivery in March 2011 and then ran a 3:36 marathon in October (a 21 min PR). She was mad she missed BQ'ing by < a minute, so she found a Nov marathon and ran a 3:33. Anything is possible... I think you just have to listen to your body and do what feels right for YOU :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Welcome back to Brooks!!! I like there new line, the retro looking logos are pretty cool!!

AND I "think" I found a shoe (knock on wood) that "sorta" helps with my dreadful run, the Pure Cadence 2's. After trying literally ever other Brooks supported shoe, I "seem" to have more success in those. Kinda excited


Have fun in Savannah, I picked Cleveland

Unknown said...

Congratulations all around!! Exciting stuff!! As for post baby marathon, it is ABSOLUTELY possible! The most important thing is to listen to YOUR body and YOUR mind. Do what feels right to YOU, not what people tell you to do (and that goes both ways, some folks will tell you that you are working out too much and others will make you feel like you are doing too little) We are all DIFFERENT people. Embrace who YOU are post baby, I know she's going to be a kick ass person and mommy :D

Pharmie said...

Congrats on the Brooks team! Doing a marathon 5 months PP is definitely doable, but a lot will depend on circumstances individual to you guys. I look back now and wonder how I actually did it.

Unknown said...

COngrast on the award and love those Brooks shoes!

My advice, set goals but be willing to be flexible. After Christian, I needed a full 8-9 months to work back into a "rigorous" excercise regime but I was also less fit before I had him than I was after him. 6 weeks POST delivery with Logan I competed in a sprint triathlon, finishing first in my age group... Yes, 6 weeks. Then I competed in another sprint tri a month later and an Olympic 6 months following. Now those aren't near as strenuous as a full marathon, but just listen to your body. I second whoever said jogging stroller comment - they really work in jumpstarting the fitness and once my boys were able to hold their head up , we were OFF!

Ryan said...

there are women that give birth in a hat and then go back to picking rice...i think 5 months is plenty of time and it give you a reason to get out moving again. ps:all this said from a dude :) that whines really loud if my shoe is too tight. Ha!

Unknown said...

Congrats! I have been considering signing up for the Seattle Half at the end of November...that will be 3months PP, for now I will play it by ear but think I am one of the few who enjoy this race and want to do it agaain.

Molly said...

Congrats on the Brooks gig and the award! Well deserved : )

I think that marathon post baby is doable, you were already an active healthy person before you got preggo, so that definitely helps you to bounce back.

Visiting Savannah is on my To Do List, mainly to go to The Lady & Sons and have some biscuits! Ha!