Race Schedule and Results

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Something new

First, wasn't the Ironman World Championship awesome yesterday? I had the live feed on all day and it was awesome. Congrats to everyone who raced... maybe some day I'll get there (most definitely through the lottery unless I want to race when I'm 80).

We're a week out for the Columbus marathon. It's funny how the mind works though - it's only a marathon. When did I get to the point when 26.2 miles is only a marathon. I guess it becomes that way when you aren't swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles first. I'm slightly nervous about it. I'd like to PR, which shouldn't be hard since I've had some piss poor marathon results in the past, but I don't know if I'll be there. I went out for an 8 mile run this morning and felt like poop. I tried to convince myself that it's because I'm in taper, but I think it's really that I'm just done with training! :) Oh well...

I am super excited though because I've been searching for something new in terms of training and I FINALLY found a kickboxing class that I can join. I don't want a fufu taebo kind of class, led by the likes of Billy Blanks. I want a good hour of all out pounding. I want a bag, and some sparing, and some of these...

I used to kick box back in the day (before I met Tom) and I loved it. When I moved in with him, it was just too far to drive back to the class and I've searched and searched for the last 7 years for something that was comparable to the butt kicking that I'd get a few times a week. Everything came up short. Finally, there are two places - one locally and one about 15 minutes away, that offer the beating that I'm looking for. I just have to decide which one I want to join. One offers classes 6 days a week, the other (and the closer one) is only twice a week, but is cheaper. Since I'm looking at it as cross training, I'll probably stay local and just hit it up twice a week.

I am so ready to punch and kick for a while and have actually some faces that will help with imagery as I'm pounding the bag! A little reminder of those who didn't treat me right!

Oh how I love cross training...

14 comments:

Marci said...

Kickboxing should be fun... def keep us updated on how that goes!

It's a relief I wasn't the only one that felt like poop running yesterday... at least I had someone who felt the same way I did!

Woot woot for race week!

Unknown said...

kickboxing is an awesome workout! Good luck on your marathon. SOme say its harder than an Ironman bc you put so much effort into it as you know you are only running! Kick butt!

Christi said...

Kickboxing sounds like a lot of fun to me. I would love to do that!

Niki said...

Kickboxing sounds awesome!! I wish I could find a class like that around here :)

Jon said...

Kona was incredible this year!

Good luck with the upcoming Marathon. My favorite:

Ironman Triathlete to Marathoner: "Oh you run marathons? How cute!"

Alisa said...

Super funny about the "only a marathon." Now that I'm back training for "just a marathon" it seems so much easier logistically and time-wise than training for tri's.

I've never kick boxed but there is a place in town that's apparently the best kickboxing studio around.

Shannon (IronTexasMommy) said...

I could use a few of those classes right now, too! :) Kickboxing is such an awesome cross training sport. Wishing you the best on your marathon. I start a very condensed training plan next week for one on Dec. 5. Dont' think I'll even have time to taper. Ha!

misszippy said...

Sounds like a fun way to spend some off season time!

Molly said...

I loved a Billy Blanks tape I had years ago, loved getting it all out.

I can't believe I just wrote tape.

Aimee said...

Kickboxing sounds like it would be perfect!
Good luck with your marathon! My first is in 6 days! Yikes!

Colleen said...

Kickboxing is my favorite!! Although, I admit, I do a class at the gym that is a little like Billy. But, it still kicks my butt, so we're all good :)

Lori said...

Where are these kickboxing places you mention? I need to shake things up this winter :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Good luck at the mary!!!

Anne-Marie said...

Your line of thought sounds similar to mine... 'Chicago marathon? no big deal, it's *just* a marathon' :) I can remember training for my first marathon in 2003 and thinking that a 12 mile run was horrendously long and would never be able to do 26! I guess that goes to show how mental endurance sports are.

Good luck and enjoy your taper!