I went an picked up my race packet for the Turkey Trot. I know it's a bit early to get my packet, but I live about 40 minutes away from the race and getting it race morning is always a pain. I was halfway to the running store today after kickboxing so I decided to stop by. Holy bright construction cone colored shirts batman. But I like them! The turkey in the center is the kind a little kid makes with their hand. It's cute... they had smalls... I'll wear it! (I think of it as doing my part for the safety of myself during night time runs!)
So a lot of you have asked me what kickboxing is all about. Here's kind of a little run down.
- We usually start with a warm up - jumping rope, running around the gym with medicine balls, stations of lunges, squats, push ups, sit ups, mountain climbers and whatever hellish things they can think of to get our heart rates going (it doesn't take much for me these days...)
- After about 10 minutes, we put on our gloves. And we then proceed to punch the crap out of a bag that hangs from the ceiling. They tell us combinations - starting with maybe three punches and work until this combos are 5,6,7 punches and kicks (which is usually when people forget). Then we move to the next combo. We do this for about 30 minutes. In between some of the combos, we'll do push ups, planks, run laps, do burpees, do mountain climbers, etc. The gym looks something like this during this 30 minutes (I totally stole this from their website and no, I'm not in that picture)
- We then have a burnout set. It's usually some insanely hard set of combos and cardio.
- Then the last 15 minutes or so, we do weight/resistance workouts and tons of abs - they really like planks... regular planks, planks on a ball, planks with punches, walking planks, etc. Today for example, we did a rotation with a partner of planks and one arm rows, then walking planks/push ups and flies and then leg curls on the ball and push ups with a row.
- By the end of 55 minutes, I'm usually soaked, dead tied and ready to call it a day.
I LOVE IT! I decided to be uber athlete today since I've been feeling totally guilty for working out 7 hours this month total. I got on my indoor trainer. OH MY GOD! I literally thought that my heart might pop out of my chest. I was dripping wet in a matter of minutes and I looked down and I was averaging like 16.4mph. Wow... lost that fitness fast! I miiiiiight have some work to do on the bike!