Race Schedule and Results

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

RnR Savannah - the race that never happened

Before Abby was born, I was given the opportunity to get an entry for Rock-n-Roll Savannah marathon.  At the time, I thought that 5 months would be plenty of time to train for a full marathon, with a baby, while nursing.  I mean, really, what could possibly derail my training for a full marathon? 

It sounded like a good goal at the time.

And then I had the baby.  I had a cesarean which required a little more healing time.  And when I started back to running, it was slow going - not just the pace, but well, all of it.  Running 4-5 miles was a HUGE success by about 2 months out.  There was no way that I was going to be able to build to a full marathon in such a short amount of time.  I focused on my training for the half in October in Ohio, thinking that I would keep re-evaluating as my training went on.  When I maxed out at 10 miles and couldn't walk comfortably for two days, I threw in the towel. 

I had heard from so many people different opinions of me thinking of a full marathon five months after delivering.  The majority of people gawked when I mentioned it and told me I was crazy.  There were a few who said I could do it with no problem.  In the end it bummed me out to set a goal that I couldn't achieve.  Could I have worked harder for it?  Probably.  But when it comes down to it, I needed to listen to my body and the reality was that my body was saying "whoa... not yet momma". 

I've heard it can take up to a year to feel 100% after a c-section.  I'm not there yet.  I'm not in pain that could cause medical help, but things aren't 100% yet. 4-5 miles are still fairly average runs for me these days.  This winter I'm focusing on some core work which will hopefully help with the longer runs and maybe next year I can have a second chance at the full in Savannah.

1 comment:

Tran Nhan said...

http://chacha.com.vn/