Race Schedule and Results

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Back to reality

I am so out of the loop right now. I flew home from Hawaii (which made me want to cry) on Thursday night. My flight left at 7:20 their time (which was 1:20 in the morning here in Columbus). I didn't get to my house until 2 in the afternoon on Friday. I slept maybe 4 hours total. I came home to a boat load of work (yay and boo at the same time), a yard that I didn't know if the mower would go through, and an impending half marathon on Saturday morning.
I slept 11 hours last night and forced myself to get up. And as I sit here now at 5 pm, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. YIKES...

In any event, I had a great race yesterday. My legs were still little sausages from flying and I could barely keep my eyes open at the start so I wasn't expecting any miracles. That and I had run 37 miles in Hawaii and had cross trained 2 hours, not to mention walking probably a gazillion miles each day so I was anything but fresh. I started out the race with my friend Stevi. This was her second race and she was so excited. :) The course was crowded for a while (because someone had the genius idea to start the half marathon and the 5k at the same time and on the same course, with 1/2 of the road open to traffic). I ended up losing Stevi in the crowd after about the first mile. I settled into a pace that I could hold, but didn't have my Garmin. I stopped looking at my watch at my time by mile 3. It didn't matter what I ran.

It was a gross day... rain was pending, I just didn't know when it would start. It was humid, although luckily I had prepared for that in Hawaii (I knew my running there had a purpose). The rain didn't really hit until mile 11 so I was good to go... by that point it felt good. I just ran. No head phones. No Garmin chirping off the miles. Just me and the road.

I finished in 1:50:06!!! Didn't see that coming. Nice way to start the weekend.

And now that I'm sitting here trying to stay awake, I just keep thinking that I'd give anything to be back in Hawaii. I love that little state! :) Here are some pictures of our fabulous week!!!
Tom and I got "leid" right when we landed! :)
The view from our room:

Waikiki:Somewhere along the shores of Oahu:The JDRF group that Tom spoke to - they were all so amazing!

Amazing sunsets:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time in Hawaii!!!

Congrats on your race time!

Liz said...

Woop woop! Great race! :) You and Tom look so HAPPY in that first picture! Love it! Get some sleep tonight :)

Stevi N. Honaker said...

Colleen- Coming into the race so relaxed and of course use the humidity was just what you needed. Proof that your training has paid off ten-fold and even when faced with less then perfect conditions your fitness will still carry you to an awesome finish.
Meeting you at the start was the best thing that happened to me that day. I was able to clear my head and just go. I was sad to lose you, but I knew we both had to run our own races (and knew even with tired legs you were going to throw down sub 8:50 miles, cause your our Irondiva). I'm so proud of you and the amazing example you set.

Hugs and big old congrats!

Aimee said...

Wow...those pictures are beautiful and you and Tom look so happy!

I cannot believe you ran a 1/2 marathon after traveling! You did awesome! Congrats! :)

Jon said...

Aw man! I'm quitting my job and moving to Hawaii! Glad you had a great trip!

Kim said...

what a fabulous trip you had! congratulations on an absolute amazing race! youve been working SO hard, and it totally paid off!

misszippy said...

Congratulations on your race! What a way to shake the "coming home" blues. The trip looks beautiful.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Hawaii is soo great and congrats on your 1/2 Marathon after all that travel - geez! I found your blog via Kim K ! FUN! :)

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job at the half!! My last 10 mile was a race that was at the same time as a 5k, and we ended up battling the 5kers at mile 7. Genius.

Looks like a great trip!!